Donnafugata Sul Vulcano Etna Rosso
Etna Rosso DOC, Sicilia
Pale ruby red, Sul Vulcano offers an elegant bouquet with notes of wild berries (strawberry and red currant) and flowery scents, along with delicate spicy nuances of cinnamon and nutmeg. Perfect harmony between aroma and taste, with good freshness and harmonious tannins. A long, balanced finish.
Perfect with Mediterranean antipasti and first courses based on eggplant or mushrooms, meat and roast stew. Pairing options are numerous: from North-American cuisine (chicken wings, hamburgers) to moderate spicy Asian dishes (beef stir-fried, dumplings) to fusion cuisine like Tex-Mex based on meat and beans.
- DENOMINATION: Etna Rosso DOC
- GRAPES: Nerello Mascalese – A black grape variety. The unique terroir of the volcano gives rise to the prestigious Etna DOC denomination.
- PRODUCTION ZONE: Eastern Sicily, north side of Etna, between Randazzo and Passopisciaro.
- TERRITORIES: altitude from 730 to 750 m a.s.l.; the composition of the sandy texture volcanic soil offers a subacid-neutral reaction, with good organic endowment. Deep, rich in minerals, the volcanic soil allows strong root growth.
- VINEYARD: Alberello or VSP (Vertical Shoot Positioning) training with spurred cordon pruning. Density of about 4,500 plants per hectare with yields of 45 - 65 quintals/hectare.
- VINTAGE: An autumn and winter with little rainfall. The 2016 vintage closed with 519 mm of rainfall, below the average* of 799 mm that characterizes the north side of the volcano, between Randazzo and Passopiscaro, where Donnafugata has its vineyards in 5 different districts. This figure did not have significant consequences. In very loose terrains like these volcanic ones, the root system of the grapevine can go deep and capture the moisture it needs. No excessive heat peaks during the summer; some rain in late August certainly helped the vines, allowing them to complete the cycle of a contained and balanced production. The ripening of the grapes was slow and regular, also thanks to the mild temperatures on many days between September and October. Excellent from the qualitative point of view, the 2016 vintage gave wines with intense perfumes and harmonious tannins; wines of particular finesse and harmony. (*AGRICULTURAL YEAR: for Etna/Randazzo it is considered from 1 November to 31 October; RAINFALL: obtained from SIAS, Sicilian Agrometeorological Service, the average has been calculated in Randazzo since 2007.)
- HARVEST: manual harvesting of grapes into crates with careful selection of the grapes in the vineyard. The Nerello Mascalese was harvested between October 14 and 28.
- VINIFICATION: Once the clusters reach the winery they undergo further selection on a vibrating table, followed by grape selection thanks to a latest generation destemmer, able to discard the green and overripe grapes. Fermentation in stainless steel with maceration on the skins for 8-10 days at a temperature of 25 °C. Aging partly in tanks and partly in French oak (second and third passage barriques) for 14 months and then at least 7 months in bottle before release.
- ANALYTICAL DATA: alcohol 13.45 % vol. - total acidity 5.7g/l - pH 3.48