Terre Siciliane IGT, Sicilia
Deep red, Tancredi 2012 is characterized by a fragrant bouquet, notes of red fruit and dark berry fruit combined with scents of liquorice and sweet tobacco. In the mouth the tannins are soft and well integrated. An enveloping and persistent finish.
It will find its best pairing with t-bone steak, gourmet burgers and game.
- GRAPES: Cabernet Sauvignon and Nero d'Avola; Tannat and other varieties finalize the blend
- PRODUCTION ZONE: South-western Sicily, Contessa Entellina Estate and nearby areas.
- TERRAINS: altitude from 200 to 600 m a.m.s.l. (656- 1,312 ft); hilly orography; clay loam soils with a sub-alkaline reaction (pH 7.5 to 7.9) rich in nutritive elements (potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron, manganese, zinc) and total limestone from 20 to 35%.
- VINEYARD: VSP (Vertical Shoot Positioning) training with spurred cordon pruning, leaving 6 to 8 buds per plant. Planting density of 4,500 to 6,000 plants per hectare (1,822-2,429 an acre) and yields of about 5 tons (2 tons an acre); about 0.9 kg per plant.
- VINTAGE 2012: the 2012 vintage was slightly warmer than the seasonal averages, although it was characterized by a normal climatic trend. The rainfall was concentrated in spring, but altogether in 2012 there was less rainfall than in the last 10 years (469 mm from 1 October 2011 to 30 September 2012), with yields that were slightly lower than average. A sunny harvest which allowed for the production of very healthy grapes, perfectly ripe from an aromatic and phenolic point of view.
- HARVESTING: manual harvesting of grapes into crates with careful selection of the grapes in the vineyard. The harvest of the grapes destined for Tancredi began during the first week of September with the Nero d'Avola and continued until the second week of September with the harvest of the Cabernet Sauvignon and Tannat.
- VINIFICATION: A further selection is carried out in the cellar, thanks to a latest generation destemmer, able to discard the green and overripe berries that might still be on the clusters. Fermentation in stainless steel and maceration on the skins for 12 days at a temperature of 28 - 30° C (79 -86° F). Ageing for 14 months in new and old French oak barriques and then in the bottle for at least 30 months.
- ANALYSIS DATA: alcohol 13.66 % ABV, total acidity 6.6 g/l, pH 3.55.