Fillaboa Selección Finca Monte Alto
DO Rías Baixas, DO Rías Baixas
- Color: Soft golden-yellow in color with a bright, sparkling white rim.
- Aromas: Fine, elegant and expressive, this wine has a remarkable aromatic evolution with alluring aromas of fresh apple, ripe pear, white flowers, brioche and citrus fruit.
- Flavors: Soft upon entry, with great structure on the mid-palate, the 2016 Finca Monte Alto is elegant and complex, with well integrated acidity and fleshy-fruit notes. Considered to be one of the few Albariños with outstanding complexity, Fillaboa’s Selección Finca Monte Alto is a stellar Spanish wine known for its unique balance and roundness.
2016 was considered to be an exceptional vintage and a unique year in the history of Fillaboa. While our spring was rainy, the summer was the hottest and driest in the last 50 years. Thankfully, the vines managed to withstand the drought and their late vegetative cycle, caused by a cold and rainy spring, was compensated by the long and warm summer. Grapes reached their full maturity and achieved a perfect sanitary state upon harvest, which began on the 14th September.
Bodegas Fillaboa is centered on preserving the primary aromas of the Albariño grape variety. A naturally thick-skinned grape known for its rich variety of aromas (16 different aromas have been scientifically recognized), alcoholic fermentation takes place at low temperatures in stainless steel vats and the wine is then aged sur lees for an average of 12 months, during which the fine lees are stirred regularly using the bâtonnage method. Bentonite is used as a natural clarifying agent. Unique in their commitment to a single bottling per vintage for the U.S. market, Fillaboa’s dedication to excellence prevents bottle variation and ensures consistent quality from vintage to vintage. Wine is bottled in a special 750 ml signature style bottle and less than 1,000 9L equivalent cases were produced.
- Serving temperature: 50-54ºF
- Alcohol content: 13.7%
- pH: 3.42
- Total acidity: 6.2 g/l
- Size: 750 ml
- Color: clear and bright straw yellow.
- Aromas: Fine and elegant. Expressive and rich in nuances. Aromas of mature fruit, apple and citrus fruits. Maturing on lees offers notes of baking and dried fruits. This wine has a remarkable aromatic evolution
- Flavors: Well-structured and full-bodied. Its great acidity awards freshness, this wine is tasty and nervy. An elegant and complex wine which will not leave anyone indifferent. Outstanding complexity.
The 2015 vintage was marked by low rainfall, causing irregular budding. However these weather conditions also gave way to homogeneous blooming and a very balanced grape production. The summer and harvest were very dry, awarding good balance between the alcohol and acidity levels. The Monte Alto plot is renowned for the balance of the wines it creates. The perfect south facing position, its trellis conduction system, its gravelly, sandy loamy soil and its slopes with over 20% incline make the difference and the uniqueness of the terroir is clearly reflected in its wines. 14,388 limited edition bottles.
- Alcohol - 12.5%
- 100% Estate Albariño
Color: Straw yellow, clear and bright.
Aromas: Elegant and complex on the nose, with Pica lemon, pineapple candy, and pink grapefruit aromas. Fresh notes evoke the trace of the sea. Fine nuances of white flowers, reminiscent of freshly baked goods and dried fruit. After some time in the bottle, mineral notes from the soils where the grapes grow once again reappear.
Flavors: Pleasant attack, revealing volume and character in the mid-palate.This wine has an amazing depth, the citrus aromas persist up to the finish. This wine won’t leave you indifferent.
2014 was an atypical year with a very Atlantic flair: unusually cool temperatures and heavy rain kept most of the winegrowers in the Denomination of Origin on the alert throughout the season. However, these factors together with the unique microclimate, the perfect south facing orientation of the MONTE ALTO plot, the gravelly, sandy loamy soil and the slopes with over 20% incline, awarded us perfectly ripe, balanced fruit with a zingy acidity, offering this complex white wine style and longevity. The harvest took place at the end of August.
Fermentation took place at controlled temperatures in stainless steel vats. Racking was carried out after fermentation and then the wine was aged for a further 12 months in stainless steel vats, during which the fine lees were stirred regularly using the bâtonnage method. Presented in a 75 cl Signature style bottle.
100% Estate Albariño Alcohol 12.5%
Estate wine made with grapes from our Monte Alto plot. This emblematic plot is the highest and sunniest at Fillaboa and crowns the estate at a height of 150 metres. Situated in a meander of the Miño river, 50 kilometres before the river joins the Atlantic ocean, this land awards this albariño wine an exceptional character.